The History of Muttaji

( This piece was created exclusively for the October 2016 issue of Kahani Takbak, a newsletter by authors for children authors.www.kahanitakbak.com)

                                       
 Roopa Pai's children's pictorial book , How old is Muttaji (Pratham Books) is a unique Indian book which blends mathematics, local history with national history.It was shortlisted for Publishing Next’s The digital book of the year award.  Kahani Takbak interviewed Roopa Pai to know more.

1.  Is the book based on a real person? Do you know anyone who is as old as Muttaji?

The book is not based on a real person but my children's Muttajji certainly provided a lot of the inspiration. She is my husband's grandmother, and she turned 100 years old in June this year. Her memory is not like Muttajji's - she remembers EVERYTHING from her childhood and younger days!

2.      How long did Muttaji take to write?

A couple of days at most... This story was conceived as a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) book for Storyweaver, part of the math series that I was editing (I edited three math stories and wrote the Muttajji one to make it four math books), I had a vague idea of the plot before I started - that it would be about two kids trying to calculate their great-grandmother's age using real historical events - and the story flowed quite seamlessly when I started to write it.

3.       There is a lot of research behind writing the book.
 Did you stumble upon some information first and then decided to write the story or it something else?

I have always been a history buff. My other job, apart from being a children's writer, is being a tour guide with the history and heritage walks and tours company, Bangalore Walks. Over the last ten years, I have taken thousands of school and college students - both local and international - around Bangalore and Karnataka, introducing their history to them. So, most of the facts in the book were already in my head when I started.

The other thing is that I like to write stories that combine information with entertainment and human interest. I think children, particularly Indian children, not only have the ability to absorb complex, multilayered, multidimensional, multi-strand stories, but thrive on them. Perhaps this is the result of being born in a wonderfully diverse and chaotic land where daily life is a carnival and even our epics have no straight-forward linearity in stories and involve complex characters who cannot be classified as white or black. So it came naturally to me to bring history into a story that already had math in it. :)
   
4.       Did you visit libraries or newspaper offices to gather information for the book?

All that research had been done when I was researching many years ago for the history walks. For this story, I just verified the facts off the Internet and my own collection of history books.

5.       Can you name any good libraries in Bangalore which has a good collection of history books?

Hippocampus in Koramangala has a great collection of all kinds of children's books including history books. So does Kutoohala in Basavanagudi.

6      Do you love Vermicelli Payasa and pink spongy cakes with pink icing?

I do still love Vermicelli Payasa but pink icing is no longer something I enjoy. I prefer cakes without icing now. But it was a favourite when I was a child. :)

7.       You have written children books in different topics-fantasy, science, spirituality and history. What genre have you chosen next?

A book on Economics for children is due out in December. I really enjoyed writing that because I knew nothing about economics when I began.

8.       Do you have fond memories of visiting the KRS dam and Brindavan gardens in your childhood?  These two places are a part of school excursions for a kid growing up in and around Bangalore and Mysore.
Most definitely! I have the loveliest memories of Mysore from childhood, which I have had the opportunity to keep alive with the history walks I lead to the same places these days. KRS sadly has fallen off the itinerary (it's too far out), but Srirangapatna and Mysore - including walking the 1000 steps up Chamundi hill, a visit to the Mysore Palace, and so on - are still a big part of our tours.

9. How can readers get in touch with you?
Yes, I have let the website lapse - too busy writing. :) But the plan for 2017 is to get a proper website up once again, with links to all my books and a contact address for me.

  How old is Muttaji? is available online at Storyweaver.org.  It should become available in print by the end of the year.  To read the free online version of the book,click here.

To subscribe to the free monthly newsletter, visit www.kahanitakbak.com
To give feedback, mail to kahanitakbak@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with L.M.Kadu( Bala sahitya Akademi award for Marati(2017)

Tamil poet for little children: Kuzha Kathiresan

Festival Stories Through The year : Guest Blog by Rachna Chhabria