Interview with Paro Anand, winner of Sahitya Akademi Bala Sahitya award winner 2017







It's not easy to find a copy of the latest Bala Sahitya award winner 2017, Wild Child and Other Stories. Written by Paro Anand, the book  has been reprinted by Penguin(India) with a new cover and a new title, Like Smoke. Kahani Takbak interviewed children's author, Paro Anand to know more  about her writing and award winning book.


Paro Anand
1.      How did this book come into existence? Did the characters or the plots drive you into writing this book?
I owe much of Wild Child (now re-launched as Like Smoke, with additional content) to Jaya Bhattacharji who was the ​​consulting editor for Puffin. She really held my hand, being gentle and firm as I needed. It was a difficult time for me while I was writing. And this process saw me retain my own peace of mind. My writing really centers me. 
I am not necessarily driven by plot or character. It can come in any way. And you just hope that something comes. In the story, Wild Child, I had met a child in my early teaching days. She was as wild, disruptive and tough as the character. Obviously, this feeling of wondering what made this child the way she was lingered in the recesses of my heart and mind and came out in this story. The story, Those Yellow Flowers of August, comes from something I overheard in a Delhi school some years ago. Those careless words had pierced me then and it’s taken me quite a while to get them into a story. They were just 3 words...but they had a big impact. 
So short answer is, it could be anything- a character, a plot, a title or a word.​
2. Do you think this is the best book you have written so far? Did you expect the prize for this particular book?
For me, as I think for many writers, a book is like my child and just like a parent cannot say that this is my favorite child over that one, I can't say. Does one love a more successful child more than the one that struggles? No. In the same way, some books - like this one as well as like No Guns at my Son's Funeral, have been very successful and high profile, but i am very committed to each of my books.

3.Are these eleven stories based on people you have met ?
Each story has threads that connect with my life in some way. Something I heard, something I saw. Khalid in Those Yellow Flowers of August looks like a terrorist I met, but as a character, he is the opposite. The girl in the story has fragments of many young people I met in Kashmir but also many parts of India. So yes and no, really…

A lot of personal experience does come in, but again, these are fragments from something read, observed, seen, felt and even smelt. None of these is a whole narration of a whole episode from my life. And I don't think young people need sugar coating anymore. Look at the open access that social media provides. If they have access to that, then why not address the issues that they are already discussing in a way that is written and presented specifically for them. 
The only thing that I do keep in mind is that, when writing for young readers, I try and end the story on a note of hope. not necessarily a happily ever after, tied up with a pink bow, but at least to say that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how dark that tunnel may seem right now​

4. What’s unique about your next book of    short   stories?

​My forthcoming book which is still a work in progress is called THE OTHER and will be published by Speaking Tiger. It takes off from where Wild Child and Like Smoke left off. It tackles even more sensitive issues, takes on difficult topics. This is also a collection of stories about young people caught in crisis.​

5. You have written for children in all ages (3-16).  What do you enjoy writing the most?

​Honestly, I enjoy the story that I am writing at that time. And I don't decide which age group I am writing a story for. The story decides its own level.

6.      Do you write every day? How many words? When?
​Yes, I write every day. Or try to. I lead a pretty complicated life.  So I steal time to write. I try and write for 2 hours every day; even if that is not possible in one chunk of time. 
And I love writing in traffic jams. In the back seat of my car, I have all that I need - my laptop, music, water and a cushion. I often get my best writing done while my driver fumes. Sometimes, when the jam is opening up, I feel, oh no, not yet, let it jam up again. I call this ‘Riding the Jam.’

​ 
7.      Do you outline your novels before you write or are you a pantser?

​Again, I let the book decide what it wants to do. But usually, I dive in feet first into the deep end and just bang it out. Not deciding, age group, short story or novel or anything. I let it flow.
1.      Your writing has no extra flowery words or graphic details which is sometimes present in young adult novels. How many drafts do you write? How have you trained as a writer? Do words flow naturally or do you edit the flowery words in advance stages of your manuscript?

​Each book is different. No Guns at My Son's Funeral was written seven times over five years. The Little Bird who held the Sky up with his Feet basically came in the course of one night. And then I spent a little time expanding and sharpening it. 

1.      How has the recent ban on Smoke and No Guns at My Son’s Funeral affected your choice of subjects for future writing projects?

​It’s made me more convinced that I need to write the kind of subjects that I do write. I will always write what I need to and what I feel young people should be reading. Along with the bans on one hand, there are also accolades - so many schools have my books on recommended reading lists and course books. And then, of course, there is the Sahitya Akademi award. So I know that there are others too who think I am on the right track.
1.      In the current climate of bans, trolls, and censorship how should writers insulate themselves and focus on writing?

​Don't insulate. Get out there and fight it with your words; The school where my book was withdrawn because parents objected - well I just requested them to let me meet the parents and let's talk. That didn't happen, but maybe, sometime, I will get that chance too.
1.      What's new with Literature in Action? What can other children authors do to further the cause of Literature in action?
​I keep thinking that i should get more people into this; People who I can hand over the idea to. I haven't done it as yet because I am writing and travelling and interacting so much constantly. But yes, I should. ​


  To know more about Paro Anand, visit www.paroanand.com

(This piece was specially created for Kahani Takbak newsletter. To subscribe, visit www.shyamala.in)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with L.M.Kadu( Bala sahitya Akademi award for Marati(2017)

Tamil poet for little children: Kuzha Kathiresan

Festival Stories Through The year : Guest Blog by Rachna Chhabria