Manuscript Mayhem

Kahani Takbak’s first birthday celebrations ended yesterday. Santhini Govindan is an award winning author of children's literature with over 50 published books. She writes for all age groups, but enjoys writing in verse best.  Yesterday’s session on Manuscripts and Mayhem with the senior author and editor, was held on Facebook.
The following are questions asked by the participants in the live chat.

The most original ideas are taken...
Someone said there are no original ideas - we just have to rework them using our own thoughts and ideas...

Can't we just treat that idea differently?
Absolutely! In fact that's the key - give your own spin to an idea.

Do you write the first draft in one fast flow and revise it later, like some advocate? I asked that because they say don't do corrections as you write; it may stop the flow. I have that habit of correcting as I go.
It all depends on how the story goes, and how the muse sings. Some stories however, just flow ... I sit for two-three hours and the first draft is done. Others make me weep --- they are in my head but refuse to come out the way I want them to. I correct as I write ... works for me

Punctuation often proves to be the Achilles heel. Is it better to get the manuscript edited by professional before submitting it?
Editors are supposed to do this. You should just write a thrilling story.

Do you ever work on more than one manuscript at a time? If yes, how do you manage them?
Yes... all the time!! In fact that's how I work. I think flitting from one story to another helps me  not to get bored with slogging away at one idea.

Any tips on writing good submission letters?
Keep it brief, to the point, but give details of your story concisely.

I noticed that you have written many books for Children’s Book Trust (CBT). Do they accept unsolicited submissions? Are they open to newbies or do they prefer to work with seasoned authors?

Yes, CBT does accept submissions apart from their competition entries. Write to them if you have something you think they might like to review. There's no such thing as a seasoned author. There are only authors who get rejected all the time. I just have many more rejection letters than you do.

 If you are to be believed, does that put off publishers (the rejections) or do they always look at a new story in new light?
I don't think they even remember that we have submitted to them before!! They look at every manuscript afresh I think.

Which one is the most recent and what book can readers expect from you next?
CBT's picture book is the latest - A GIFT FROM MIU. I am working on some other books too - all just in the growing stage

Sometimes, too much knowledge can be a dangerous thing and actually curtain our creativity? Do you agree?
I went to my first writer’s workshop in the USA when I was already well published. They asked me if I would have done more if I had come earlier. I said that if I had known how ignorant I was of the craft writing, and what a shot in the dark I was taking I would never have written a line.

Do you think it is necessary to always follow the trend and write topical stories?
Some topics are universal and timeless. No trend for them. Others may be topical and I guess that every writer has to decide for himself or herself.

Do you believe in writing certain number of words per day?
No ... some days I don't write a line. Some days I work all night.


 One cannot really live by writing. So what is your reason for writing and continuing to write despite rejections?
Hehe!! GOOD QUESTION!! I do live from my writing now – I have a job as a language editor of a children's magazine. We have six magazines in a month.I only edit for them - rarely write.

With so much information available so easily today, do you think it is necessary to mentor young authors?
 I have done this ... it was an interesting experience. They have myriad ideas. Good vocabulary. No punctuation whatever as they use SMS language all the time, so that was uphill work.

How easy or difficult is it to step back and review your own story critically?
If there is a time gap, then I find it easy. All the mistakes leap out at me.

How do you decide which publisher to send your manuscript to? (assuming you send to only one at a time)
I do not make multiple submissions. One publisher at a time! Wait for their response… then resend again.

Some random musings from Santhini Govindan
·         One thing I've learnt from experience - before you write a story check to see if anyone else has written on the same topic.

·         We have to be careful not to use the same 'catch words' in a title because that may be the USP of some other author's story. Luckily we have 'Google' now to help us.

·         When I started writing I was a young mother with two small kids - pets and a large house. Had no typewriter - computers not invented. Wrote in my head ...the act of putting down in words was the last act!!

Here's a link to  Santhini Govindan’s latest picture book, published by CBT, Delhi. 

 To know more about Santhini, visit www.santhinigovindan.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with L.M.Kadu( Bala sahitya Akademi award for Marati(2017)

Tamil poet for little children: Kuzha Kathiresan

Festival Stories Through The year : Guest Blog by Rachna Chhabria