Wish. Wonder. Wander.

                                         ( Guest Post by Sakshi Singh)




                                                        Wish. Wonder. Wander.
They say you discover something new about life and yourself when you wonder and wander. I wandered off to Wales this Winter and I came back with enriching experiences and new found enthusiasm to write.

New Year. New Notes.
The year started on a good note when I enrolled myself for an online course in Writing as therapy – something that intrigued me and made me want to explore and learn more about the healing aspects of writing.
As I was finishing the course, I realized I hadn’t had enough and I wanted to go deeper and that’s when I asked my teacher Victoria Field if there was something more advance I could pursue or come to UK for and she suggested the “Writing for health and well being program” a residential retreat in November.
I wasn’t sure if I could make it as it was in the middle of the year and with writing and teaching commitments it is never easy to take a break but then the interest and curiosity was too strong and I wasn’t sure if I was able to take this course again ( I got to know after I finished that this was the last one they had been doing this for 10 years lucky for me! ) and as luck would have it with the support of my family and colleagues I was off to Wales in November.
After a 10 hour long flight and two train changes I arrived in one of the most beautiful coastal towns I have ever seen Criccieth in North Wales. At first it was a big story to tell how remote this place was and how it took me 7 hours by train from London to Criccieth but as the course began soon it was clear why this remote setting was the choice of location for this course. The nature of the course demanded that you withdrew from the mundane and the demands of your daily life in order to absorb this new guidance.
We were literally in wilderness at The Tynewydd writing center – earlier it used to be the house of Prime Minister George Loydd. A real architectural marvel it was!
As you walked down the drive way, there was  a river and by the river there was the only school in Criccieth called Ysgol, Llanstumsdwy where I also had a chance to do a poetry reading of my books Jalebi Jingles and Rat-a-tat poems with children who spoke and understood English and Welsh – a truly novel and memorable experience for them and me.

Immersive. Inventive. Inspiring.
Our course was short but immersive, deep and healing focusing mainly on the therapeutic benefits of writing and how it can be used to enhance once’s well being rather than the creative out put and critically evaluating the quality of writing. Our teachers in a small intimate setting showed us how we can use writing as a tool to work with people across various settings, be it in hospitals, prisons and with various conditions from depression to dementia amongst others.
I had been exploring writing as a healing tool for quite some time now personally and I found it highly beneficial processing difficult emotions and challenging situations through writing – this is what lead me to the course and I wanted to now enable myself to work with others and share this gift of writing as a tool to enhance their health and well being.

The year began with a lot of yearning and learning to do something new and it ended too with a lot of new ideas and inspiration.

I hope the New year brings a lot of ideas and inspiration to you.

Sakshi Singh

(Sakshi Singh has penned two poetry books for children- Rat a Tat and Jalebi Jingles. She lives in Mumbai.)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with L.M.Kadu( Bala sahitya Akademi award for Marati(2017)

Tamil poet for little children: Kuzha Kathiresan

Festival Stories Through The year : Guest Blog by Rachna Chhabria