Benita Sen's One Lonely Tiger

 One Lonely Tiger (Penguin Random House India) is Benita Sen's latest picture book on the threat of extinction.


                             


How did this book idea occur to you?
Some years ago, we were flying low over tiger territory. When I looked down, the forest did not seem as thick or as large as I had imagined. I kept thinking, where would the tiger be comfortable in this depleted forest? Is the tiger safe in such an environment? An animal does not live in isolation, even if it is at the top of the food pyramid. It lives in a habitat, and every component of that habitat is vital.
It reminded me of a famous anecdote I have heard from my youth and which I have never been able to verify. It’s the stuff of folk lore. Apparently, one of the Prime Ministers of our country was given the assurance that our forests were fine. When you drive past a forest, you see the front rows of trees that give the impression that all is well inside. It was a helicopter ride over some forests that brought out the depletion inside. That led to a major afforestation drive, or so I am told.  

Why did you choose rhyming text to express yourself in this book?
 I love rhyme. I often think in rhyme. If I do not correct myself, I may often speak to you in rhyme. I stop myself from doing that because the other person may mistake that as a trivial attitude, which I assure you, it is not. It’s just the way my brain is wired. In college, a friend and I would chat while class was on by writing limericks. My book, What Did Nepo Do With A Sari?, published by Katha, is in rhyme. I’ve written several stories in rhyme. There’s one waiting in the wings. I hope some publisher picks it up!  


Writing a picture book with rhyme and rhythm is not an easy task. How long did it take for you to write this book?
I really cannot recall how long it took, because I wrote it some years ago. Perhaps in 2011. It did take a few days, but once I begin, I like to write the entire story because it buzzes around in my head till I finish. When an idea hits me, I write frenetically. I can write at odd hours. That’s when I keep a notepad by my bed or make notes on my phone.

Does the use of seven sisters in the book have some significance? The babblers are a unique choice of birds in a book of extinction.
Babblers are among my favourite birds! In my childhood, my mother had told me about the seven sisters. After marriage, I came from the east to Delhi and was surprised to see this bunch of noisy, confident birds that look rather cross. They were babblers. Most of my adult life has been spent in north India and babblers have delighted me with their confidence and camaraderie. As you can guess, my family has been rather rooted to plants and animals, including birds. I feel blessed in the midst of plants and animals. I have spent hours with my dog, with birds and butterflies, so these details come naturally to me.  
The book ends on a note of hope. Do you think sensitizing children about the ecological crisis we are facing will make a difference in future?
That ray of hope is courtesy Sathya Saran. She suggested mentioning at the end, how we can keep the tiger in our midst. The result was that page. My faith lies in children. I work with and for them and I find them so positive. Whenever I can, I end my workshops with one slide of our pet, Julie, to show children what wonderful pets our Indian Pariah Dogs and an amputee dog at that, can be. Our country has so many young people coming forward to do their bit for our urban environment! I’m fortunate to be a member of an environment club meant basically for children. Their knowledge, interest and enthusiasm fill me with hope. 
From animals, crafts, gardening to people of change, you write on a wide variety of subjects.

How do you choose your topics?
I truly love spending time with children. I write about all the things that interest me, including text books. I would get a little bored if I stuck to one genre or one vertical. To me, children are holistic beings. They are multi-dimensional. On the other hand, I cannot pretend to write on an issue I do not know or understand. I cannot write a Maths book for class 10, for instance. 

Did you get to interact with the illustrator of the book Sekhar Mukherjee?
This is the second book Sekhar Mukherjee and I have collaborated on. The first was What Did Nepo… I remember sharing the gist of this book, One Lonely Tiger, with Sekhar over the telephone. He was then in NID Ahmedabad and I was in Jallandhar. But distance did not matter. He liked the idea and sent me roughs right away. He has thrown himself totally into developing the persona of the tiger. This is not your typical tiger. Sekhar and I share several sensibilities and concerns. Our professional association goes back a long while, and I am so grateful that we continue to work together. 

How did the publisher respond to your submission?
It took the publisher virtually no time to say yes to this manuscript and to my collaboration with Sekhar Mukherjee. 

To buy a copy of  Benita Sen's One Lonely Tiger click here.

(PS:  I am an  affiliate of Amazon. When you buy the book through the above hyperlink, I will receive a small percentage of sales which helps me run Kahani Takbak, a platform to promote Indian books, author and illustrators.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with L.M.Kadu( Bala sahitya Akademi award for Marati(2017)

Tamil poet for little children: Kuzha Kathiresan

Festival Stories Through The year : Guest Blog by Rachna Chhabria