A sequel to Malli


                                              Malli is Coming! (English-Hindi) 
The sequel to Malli is finally out.  Written by Jeeva Raghunath and Illustrated by Nancy Raj, Malli       is Coming is a picture book about gratitude and gifts. Malli was first published by Tulika in  2005. Jeeva and Nancy shared a few titbits about the book.

Jeeva,Fourteen years is a long time for a book’s sequel. When did you finally start writing Malli’s sequel? What made you think it was time to write Malli’s sequel?

I did send a few ideas in between but it didn’t work. That’s it, no deliberate reason! Again, I don’t plan, it happens.

Why did you choose the 'return gift' idea as the book’s subject? What childhood memories do you have of gifts?

No reason! I was in the flight, fast asleep. When I woke up, the spark happened and I wrote it. I sent it to Tulika and it was approved!

Never gave importance to gifts but I received many even to this day. I’m so lucky, I keep getting gifts. All the same I love giving gifts! The joy is immense!!!


You have been narrating stories predominantly in English. Yet, you chose to write the book in Tamil. Why?

I would love to tell in Tamil but opportunities are less, anyways I always add a Tamil rhyme or song in my storytelling in English.

I have been writing only in Tamil, I think I can express better, that’s it!

Do you feel restricted by the word limit in story writing? As a storyteller words flow generously and effortlessly.
No! I write very simply. So, it’s very convenient. Even my telling is short but I extend it when there is plenty of time.

Did you test the story of Malli and Malli is Coming in storytelling sessions before you sat down to write/submit the book?

      Funnily,I never tell the stories I write. A couple of stories turned into a book after telling.



Nancy,your art style has changed over a period of 14 years. Was it easy to capture the world of Malli?

As any children’s book illustrator, it always starts with finding the characters and the right mood to begin drawing for a book, but with Malli (even after a gap of 14 years) there is a unique ease, bond and a sentiment that puts me in a compact one-to-one relationship with the pictures. Also, that comes from the fact that Malli was my first book that brought me into the Indian children’s book world. I’ve got two sorts of drawings, I draw passionately everywhere like paper napkins, benches, back of books, bits of bills and papers, walls and more which need no planning or organisation ( but some carefulness not to be caught scribbling on the walls), it flows spontaneously, it needs no corrections, it needs no eraser.  (Though it’s difficult to transfer into anything useful). That kind of spontaneity helps build and imagine my characters for Malli, the way they move around and the kind of expressions they make. I like going outside to the streets, talking and looking around at ordinary people and their life (for my sketchbook) No, I am not nosy, but I take a good look at anything that holds my attention – from braced teeth to silly gestures, merriest laughter, sideway glances or even someone’s chapel, saree-pallu, nose and eyebrows … That kind of drawing is the basic challenge that makes illustrations attractive, I actually feel the gestures and expressions with my pen. Yes, my art style has changed from my first book Malli to my latest Maharani the Cow and Achoo. I have upgraded my drawing tools from paper to digital and love this journey, I’m sure this will keep evolving. My lines I feel are the same – the spirit and energy is what I like to control with enjoyment to detail and depth to the characters. A crowded scene or an empty one, each figure/character I want it expressive, witty and individual. (you can see that in Maharani the Cow, Tulika books)

I am glad that the writer of this story, our wonderful Jeeva feels I have brought the true spirit and life to the characters. She is able to resonate herself and the memories of her as a child with her father. She feels Malli is herself, she also sees herself in the grandmother character, by which she means seeing the spirit and the energy. I’m happy to have captured that for her story.

Who was the inspiration for Malli’s phone toting, music loving, nightie wearing city grandma?


Grandmothers doesn’t always have to be associated with an easy chair, walking stick, grey hair, TV box, or the kitchen. A different personality for the grandmother is something we (the publisher and I) discussed to create. I was a few days on google and outside somewhere looking for inspiration for this character. One afternoon, my mother’s usual loud high-pitch singing gave me the idea “why not her!”.  The nightie wearing, phone toting, loudly singing, surrounded by kids - is exactly an everyday scene that you can see in my house if you enter our street in Mogappair at around 4:30 in the evening – nearly 6 to 9 neighbourhood kids between 4 to 9 years and this lady playing  badminton, ball, skipping rope and many other games.  Both Jeeva and Tulika were excited to have this character design for Malli book, where the energy and spirit was apt.



Why did you choose the terrace garden as the setting for the story?  The text has no mention of the terrace garden. Was it included in the brief given to you?



My perspective to drawing for children’s books has remained the same over the years, I feel that once I have an idea for the book, the fact that it’s for children is beside the point. Once the idea is formed and I begin to work on that, then I feel that all my audience is not only children but a much wider group – its people. So, I like to combine reality and childish things into my art.  Therefore, as an illustrator I also think it makes reading interesting to provide lots of visual cue and bits of information into the visuals that will act as a sort of springboard for imagination and thinking – that help the reader (child or adult) to visualise the real surrounding and also in which the story is happening.  I thought terrace gardening and recycling of tyres would be a great idea to show city life and an organic life style to children. Yes, the idea of terrace garden with tyres has no mention in the story or in the brief and that’s what I like about working with Tulika – the freedom for illustrators, that can go beyond and above the text.





Recycling of tyres feature predominantly in the book.

Like I mentioned earlier, I like brining in subtle creativity, thinking and humour that may provide cues and information to inspire the reader – My mom’s idea of tyres for her little terrace garden was my inspiration, if you notice it’s not just the tyre, but also the idea of birds bath to quench thirsty birds – I’m sure every house in the city has one or more two wheeler for commuting, so availability of old tyres is quiet easy. But what we do with it is the question.

To buy a copy of Malli is Coming, click here.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with L.M.Kadu( Bala sahitya Akademi award for Marati(2017)

Tamil poet for little children: Kuzha Kathiresan

Festival Stories Through The year : Guest Blog by Rachna Chhabria