An interview with Illustrator Shamika Chaves

Mumbai based illustrator Shamika Chaves has brought out an exciting new activity book for kids. Filled with interesting trivia and countless indoor and outdoor activities, this nonfiction book is ideal for family bonding. Shamika shares info about her family, early influences and work.

Tell us a bit about your family of artists. Are all of them into illustrating books?

My great grandfather, the late Keshaorao Chudekar, was an artist and the first Indian headmaster at Sir J J School Of Art during the British era in the 1920s, his work is displayed at the Prince Of Wales museum in Mumbai. ‘After fishing’ is one of his most famous paintings. I never got a chance to meet him because he passed away before I was born but I grew up seeing and hearing about his work. My parents too pursued their degrees from Sir J J School of Art (they met during their college years, fell in love and soon got married)
So I have a very art influential background, but neither of them were into children’s book illustration. And although I was always interested in illustration, it was only while I was graduating that I realized the potential that children’s book publishing has.

What made you want to become an artist?

I have a vivid memory of reading Ruth Krauss’ book ‘I can fly’ as a child, which was my favourite book back then. I used to sit for hours and admire Mary Blair’s beautiful illustrations. I still love her work and I think that was when that seed was planted in my head. However, immediately after graduation I started working a full time job as a graphic designer because I was too afraid to take the freelance route. It took me 8 whole years of a desk job that wasn’t very fulfilling to realize what I really want to do. I live with my husband, Christopher and our five-year-old tortoise, Sebastian in Bandra, Mumbai and I now work from home as a freelance children’s book illustrator. 

Apart from illustrating books, you have also ventured into writing nonfiction books. Were these books commissioned to you? Or did you pitch it to the publishers first?

I have so far worked on two activity books, written and illustrated by me. ‘Your Journal Of Memories’ that focuses on children as well as adults and ‘Happy Holidays’ which only focuses on kids. I pitched the first one to my publisher where as the latter my publisher pitched to me. Because my publisher and I think very alike it is great working with Harper Collins Children’s Books.

Can readers expect a fiction book from you soon?

I always believe in taking one day at a time. So I shall leave it at that.

Happy Holidays has a lot of interesting trivia. Have you been collecting trivia over the years or did you look for the information after you start the project?

While working on Happy Holidays! mid way I realized how fun it would be if we also included some ‘Did you know’ fun facts. The book was initially only going to focus on a whole bunch of summer activities but then when I pitched this idea to my publisher she too loved it and I decided to do a lot more research on all the facts that are included in the book. We also had to make sure that the facts are child friendly. It took a while but it was absolutely worth it. I now know that  twelve per cent of people dream entirely in black and white hahah!

How many of the activities from your book have you tried in your childhood?

All of them! Most of the material that goes in my books is more or less based on my life. The whole idea of Happy Holidays! is to encourage children to go out and do stuff that kids do rather than being glued on to electronics which play such a huge part in all our lives. As children we didn’t have that option and today when I look back, my summer holidays have played a very important role in not just shaping me but also being a part of my most precious memories. And I do want today’s kids to experience all of that the way I did.

You have collaborated on the Lucky series with Nalini Sorensen. How much of inputs did you get from Nalini while designing the three books?

Nalini is SO much fun to work with! Before starting work on the Lucky series I wanted to understand each character from Nalini’s perspective. I always believe that a story can be illustrated well if you get into the mind of the author and understand their perspective. And Nalini helped me a lot to understand the inspiration, thought and everything that went behind creating the beautiful Lucky. If you work hand in hand with the author, your result will almost always be a great book.

What’s the best piece of advice you have received about critiquing your own work?

Take your time and keep in mind your final goal. I usually work on one illustration per day. So have a LOT of patience. And if anything needs to be re done, do it without hesitation. Continue working on something as long as you are satisfied with it. By the end of the day if it makes you happy that is what matters the most and that’s what will help you grow. This is something that I have learnt over time.

You have worked on eight books with Harper Collins India. It is definitely a great accomplishment for a young artist like you. Besides talent and hard work, what are your other qualities which have made it possible?

I have so far worked on 8 books with Harper Collins India. I do think patience plays a very very important role in book publishing especially if you are an illustrator. Sometimes while working on an illustration, if, by the end of the day I am not happy with the result, no matter whose opinion I take, I will re
do it. So I really think patience is something that is very important.

To get a copy of Happy Holidays, click here.

(PS:  I am an  affiliate of Amazon. When you buy the book through the above hyperlink, I will receive a small percentage of sales which helps me run Kahani Takbak, a platform to promote Indian books, author and illustrators.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with L.M.Kadu( Bala sahitya Akademi award for Marati(2017)

Tamil poet for little children: Kuzha Kathiresan

Festival Stories Through The year : Guest Blog by Rachna Chhabria