History with Subhadra Sen Gupta

When you think of  Indian children's historical fiction, Subhadra  Sen Gupta is the first name which springs to one's mind. She has written both fiction and nonfiction historical books for all ages. I am delighted to feature the elusive Subhadra Sen Gupta on my 99th blogpost.


Pic courtesy: Funky Rainbow/Shyam Madhavan Sarada





1.How many books have you written so far?



~~ Haven't counted in a while. Over thirty books for children plus books for adults.



2. Did you study history in college? What drew you into writing for children?

                                   

~~ Yes. I have a MA from Delhi University.

I began writing in college and then there was a wonderful children's magazine called Target and two youth magazines that encouraged young writers. Bengali literature has a tradition of writers writing in all kinds of genres. Famous novelists also have children's books and that is what I aimed for. I have done fiction and travel books for adults and have just finished one on history.



3.Writing historical books for children have been your single-minded focus. What drives you to create content consistently for children?




~~ This came from something children told me. They loved my fiction but hated studying the subject in school. Also, because it is taught so badly most Indians have little knowledge of history. One reason why our politicians can get away with downright lies.



I have a pretty big adult readership especially for Children's History of India. I have interesting email conversations with adults who have suddenly discovered history again after reading my books. So, it is a very satisfying experience.



4.You have written different kinds of historical books for children. Which format to you enjoy writing the most?



~~ Historical fiction where I can weave in a story with the facts.



5.Any part of Indian history which you would love to write and have not published till date?



~~ No.



6. What does your writing schedule look like? Do you write full-time?



~~ For many years I worked in advertising. Now I work full time as a writer. I write every day.



7. Which online resource sites and offline libraries do you recommend for authors writing books on Indian history?
                                          


~~ I never take facts exclusively from the Net, even Wikipedia has mistakes. I work at the libraries in Delhi and also have a pretty good library of my own.



8.You are happy writing books and not overtly marketing them.



~~ I avoid events like lit fests because they don't sell many books. I go to schools often, especially when a new book is out. I don't lecture or what kids call "give gyan". I encourage them to talk and that is how I often get ideas for new books and discover what they are thinking. Also, school sales are often very good and you get into the libraries from where you gain readers. Writers should meet kids or they would lose touch with them.



9.You are a brand name when it comes to historical books. Do you feel constricted by the slotting?
                                         



Brand name! Heaven's no. No one else was doing it so I got the attention. Now some young writers are writing in history and that pleases me very much.

History is my thing and it is easier to get a good commission for a history book and I do enjoy the genre. So, no I don't mind at all.


10.Do you research as you write books? Do you outline your story, research and then write? 





~~ There is no hard and fast rule. If it is a new subject then there is preliminary research, lots of notes to get to know the topic and then all through the writing I continue to read and take notes. I always have a detailed breakdown of chapters done before I start.


Check out all of Subhadra's historical books here!

(PS:  I am an affiliate of Amazon. When you buy any of Subhadra's  books through the above hyperlink, I will receive a small percentage of sales which helps me run Kahani Takbak, a platform to promote Indian books, author and illustrators.)







































Comments

  1. Nice post. It is very interesting article. I really love this. Thank you for the sharing. Young Adult Adventure Books

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with L.M.Kadu( Bala sahitya Akademi award for Marati(2017)

Tamil poet for little children: Kuzha Kathiresan

Festival Stories Through The year : Guest Blog by Rachna Chhabria