Suppandi's Archana Amberkar

 Tinkle's Suppandi is everyone's favourite evergreen character.  He first appeared as a part of the Tinkle magazine and now has his own comic. Artist Archana Amberkar is the current illustrator of Suppandi. This is an old interview taken in 2011 after the first Suppandi comic appeared.





Add caption


  1. Apart from the characters of Tinkle magazine, who are your favourite comic characters?

Phantom is my favourite comic character.



  1. If there is one thing you can change about Suppandi, what would it be?

We are already working on to bring little changes in Suppandi. As he is no more only a domestic help. But we would like to maintain his innocence.



  1. Tell us a bit about your childhood.

I grew up watching two great artists at work (My father Ram Waeerkar and brother Sanjeev(who is now with MAAC Institute) both had their studio's at home) and without realizing I learned a lot about art.



  1. Did you read a lot of comics when you were young?

Yes. I always loved to read comics. Even now I prefer a comic book to a novel.



  1. If you were not an illustrator, what would you be?

I would like to be a fashion designer.



  1. How has your dad helped you to shape your character as an illustrator?

As I mentioned above I gradually learned from my father, by watching him draw every day and admiring his work.



  1. Any life lessons you want to share with kids?

Success comes with hard work. Don't hesitate to choose a career that you like, only then you will be able to work with passion and without pressure (whatever is your age. I chose mine when I was 25...after doing my graduation in commerce)



  1. What’s the future of comics in India?

The future is very bright. People are again cherishing books. Walk into a book store and you will notice that the biggest section is for the children's books.



  1. When was Suppandi first introduced in Tinkle? When did you start drawing Suppandi?

Suppandi was introduced in Tinkle no.27 by Ram Waeerkar. I started my career as a cartoonist with Tinkle in 1992.



  1. Having completed your graduation in commerce, what made you become an illustrator? Was it family pressure as both your father and brother were illustrators?

No, the family pressure was never there. My father always respected my decision. So when I got bored with the odd jobs of accounting I told him I would like to draw. He completely supported me.





  1. Your dad taught you drawing! Was he a strict teacher?

Yes, my father was a very strict teacher. I started with A,B,C.... in drawing that is, standing lines, sleeping lines, curve lines nearly for 6 to 8 months I was just doing this…



  1. Are you involved in the making of Suppandi movie?

No. the movie team is different.

  1. Do you get bored being with Suppandi every single day?

No, I love doing Suppandi,as apart from Suppandi I do other characters like Pyarelal and Lajo, ZimZim and Gotala, Ina,Mina, Mynah,Mo for the Tinkle magazine



  1. After spending the whole day with Suppandi, how do you unwind yourself?

Doing Suppandi stories is in a way relaxing as Suppandi jokes are fun to draw. Maybe the hand pains a little but the mind is never tired. It’s the satisfaction of creating which will be read and enjoyed by many children that keep me going.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with L.M.Kadu( Bala sahitya Akademi award for Marati(2017)

Tamil poet for little children: Kuzha Kathiresan

Festival Stories Through The year : Guest Blog by Rachna Chhabria