Monica Khanna's Gender Bender- Misha, Sarah and Manya


Children's author Monica Khanna recently released three books for children.
been published by Mango Books as picture books, Munches, Punches and Manya's Hunches, a chapter book, has been published by  Story Mirror Infotech P ltd.  The content of all three books are worthy of discussion between parents and children. Monica shared some thoughts around her recent releases.



                             


1. In today's times, are we doing enough to empower our girls through books?
Enough is a relative term, and I am not sure we are doing 'enough', but we have definitely started a trend to empower girls - and are also looking at changing stereotypes for boys. This is equally important - for you cannot empower girls unless you teach boys to think differently about their own roles.

2.  What parental experiences have you had with Barbie dolls that made you write a book about cars and dolls?
My own daughter enjoyed playing with Barbie Dolls. But one day when I went to pick up a gift for my nephew, the salesperson asked me whether I was looking for a toy for a boy or a girl. When I told him, it was for a boy, he immediately directed me to the cars. And when I told him I wanted a kitchen set, he looked shocked beyond words. This story was based on an experience a friend shared with me about her daughter being upset at getting only barbie dolls but wanting cars to play with.

3. Misha Makes a Mark touches upon the topic of bullies. Are you happy with the way bullying is addressed in Indian children 's books?
There have been a few books in the recent past on the topic - and it is extremely important because most children experience bullying during their school days and don't know how to deal with them.

4. How much of Munches, Punches and Manya’s Hunches is inspired by your daughter?
There are some stories that are definitely inspired by my daughter; there are some which are based on my own childhood memories, or memories that have been narrated to me by my parents over the years so many times that they are etched in my mind. There are also stories that are based on observation or conversations with parents who have shared their experiences with me, not knowing that these would take the shape of stories in a book! 

5. Addressing gender disparity is a recurring theme in your books.
It is an issue that is very close to my heart, and a topic on which I have done extensive research since my school days. It has bothered and disturbed me for years, and that is perhaps why it finds itself surfacing in my books consciously and subconsciously. If these issues can be addressed subtly at a young age, they would give rise to a generation that believes in and implements equality.

6. Will Manya have another book?
Yes, I have already completed the next set of Manya stories and am in the process of approaching publishers. Manya is very special for me, as she is real and has shades of black, white and grey. Yet, she is kind, compassionate and empathetic. Her experiences are those that an average Indian child can identify with and relate to.

7. You wear many hats as an academician and a writer. Which hat is your favourite one?

Each hat has its own special place and fulfils me in different ways. As an academician, it helps me to impart knowledge and make a difference in the life of a student. Writing, for me, is a stress buster, transporting me to another world where I can be a carefree child once more.

8. Will the e-book format of your two books help or hamper the promotion?
These are my first e-books, so I wouldn't know whether they will help or hamper the promotion. However, I believe that with a lot of children reading on their tablets, and given the convenience of not having to carry heavy books around, the e-book format is likely to gain more popularity in the coming years.

You can check out Monica Khanna's Mango ebooks here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with L.M.Kadu( Bala sahitya Akademi award for Marati(2017)

Tamil poet for little children: Kuzha Kathiresan

Festival Stories Through The year : Guest Blog by Rachna Chhabria