Uncover The Secret Life of Debbie G. with Vibha Batra

 

Author Vibha Batra is out with a bold, new graphic novel for teens.   Published by Harper Collins India, the book doesn't shy away from addressing the pain and angst of today's metro teens. From fat shaming, divorce, remarriage, bullying to LGBT issues, The Secret Life of Debbie G covers it all. Illustrator Kalyani Ganapathy has successfully captured the moods of the different characters with her black and white illustrations.




1.Why did you choose to approach this book as a graphic novel?

I didn’t! It all started when my editor asked me if I’d write a graphic novel for them. And I replied, ‘Yes! Sure! Of course!’ with the confidence of someone who’s never written a graphic novel before. And then, I dived headlong into the world of comic books and graphic novels. Devouring them in the name of ‘research’, of course. At some point I realised, I had to stop binge-reading and start writing. So I did. 


2.What kind of research went into creating this book? You have got the teen lingo right for the characters. You got a teen at home? Eavesdropping?




 Yup, I do have a teen at home – me! You see, I like to think of myself as a teenager. 16 till I die. Amen. And I think being a teen at some point in your life is research enough. I was fortunate enough to have had a sufficiently traumatic teenhood, so no dearth of ideas there!

3. Remarriage, divorce, fat shaming... Your book addresses many topics. 

I like to make sense of the world through my writing. I guess I’ve tried to explore what I see around me. Problem is, everything inspires me. Life, current events, and sigh, even those pesky peeps That Must Not Be Named. 


4. Was there anything surprising you discovered about your characters after you saw Kalyani's illustrations?

Vibha: I’d sent C-in-C (Collaborator- in-Crime) a character brief, and it was so amaze (as the TG says) and awesome to see something that had existed only in my head come alive. I just love how the book looks. The characters, the little details, the cover, everything. Am a huge fan of Kalyani’s work. Here’s hoping I get to work with her again. And soon. 


5. Which of Arya's challenges resonate with your teenage years?

Psst. Here’s a clue: fatty, fatso, motu, moti, plumpy were just some of my nicknames during my teenage years. Joy. (Remember, what I said about my teen years?) 


6. Was it easy or difficult to write this graphic novel when compared to your other books?


Had no idea how to write a graphic novel, so that bit was fairly challenging. But now, I’m truly madly deeply hooked. Have written two more. And can’t wait to come up with more. 

7.What does G of Debbie G stand for?

Lovely Question! The G does not stand for anything!

To buy a copy of The Secret Life of Debbie G, click here!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with L.M.Kadu( Bala sahitya Akademi award for Marati(2017)

Tamil poet for little children: Kuzha Kathiresan

Festival Stories Through The year : Guest Blog by Rachna Chhabria