Interview: Nandhika Nambi, author of Unbroken(Duckbill Books)



1.      You have managed to capture and put the spotlight on the challenges faced by a wheel chair bound kid. How much of research did you do to get to know your protagonist?
To be honest, I did very minimal research. First, I formed Akriti and her personality in my head, and eventually I knew her well enough to put together how she would react to the huge change in her life. Any little details or facts, I usually just researched when it came up during writing the book and not beforehand. It’s quite easy to imagine the countless difficulties faced by anyone disabled; I focussed on the emotional ones, rather than the physical and medical ones.

2.      What made you to make the protagonist a mean, bullying and stone hearted instead of playing safe with a lovable, sweet, confident and academically successful character?

Although that would be the ideal reaction; Akriti is only human after all, and deals with it in her own unique way. Her emotions run deep and are so raw that she hides them under the façade of her being a mean bully, as she feels that no one will ever understand anyway. Her hate for sympathy further fuels this character of hers. She is a young girl, unsure of how to feel and how to come to terms with her circumstances.

3.        Did you let the story grow organically or did you outline it before you wrote?

A bit of both, really. I didn’t plan it chapter by chapter, although I did have a vague outline of the main plot; which was always subjected to minor variations along the way. No matter how much planning I do beforehand, the story usually has a mind of its own as I write.

4.       How much has your writing process changed after your first two books?  There has been a gap of nearly a decade between your second and third books. In what way has it changed?

Firstly, I never used to re-read my work, or put much of an effort into the editing. Now, I’m trying to be more professional and patient, and constantly review and rewrite the manuscript before I send it off. Also, I would like to think my writing style is more mature now. The first two books (Sally’s world and One Good Turn – both self published through Pothi’s) were written more as a hobby than anything else, but to see them as complete printed books was an indescribable feeling. I love writing so much, and the idea of people reading my work, or maybe turning this into my career someday excites me tremendously.

5.       There is a mention about Akriti sleeping at 6p.m.  Then waking up for two minutes and going back to sleep.  Where did that come from?
That comes from my mother, and it’s just one amongst the many superstitions I grew up having to follow! It’s actually very common here in Tamil Nadu, because the Goddess Mahalakshmi is said to enter our homes at 6 (am and pm actually, but the 6pm is more widely followed). I felt as if Akriti’s mother would definitely be someone who followed this rule, and hence I added it.

6.       What triggered you to write Unbroken? Was it something you saw or read somewhere?

It wasn’t something specific enough to cite a date, time and place. I love writing about social causes, and things I think are important and need to be spoken about. I’ve visited a few homes with disabled children in the past, and I tried to put myself in the shoes of a child who had to deal with such trauma at this tender age. Unbroken is the product of that.

7.      How difficult or easy was it to stop yourself from showing off your medical knowledge through the book?

I actually wrote the book in the summer before med school, so I actually didn’t have much medical knowledge then. Once I was editing it, I tweaked the medical parts a bit with the things I’d learnt. Honestly, I’m still at a stage where I would definitely double check anything I was going to add, with an experienced doctor first. Luckily for me, I have three in my own family!

8.      Do you see yourself writing in other genres?  Have you started working on your next book?
 I’d love to write in other genres, someday. Although I haven’t explored them much yet. I haven’t started the process of writing my next book, but I do have an idea of what the story is about and such. I probably will write about my experience in medical college, soon!

9.       How did you make time to write this book in the middle of a busy college schedule?

This answer is also why I haven’t actually started writing my next book yet. I love to write continuously, for huge chunks of time and I don’t like to set limits or specific time intervals and such. Medical college is very demanding, and there’s always something that has to be studied for, or something that has to be submitted. Hence, I haven’t been able to dedicate the time I want to writing. I have many other passions too, like dancing and playing the piano – but writing is the only thing I’ve been able to keep doing through college; even though I only write bits and pieces here and there, when inspiration strikes. Although I’m sure good time management would definitely make it possible, so far I’ve failed miserably due to lack of said skill. Writing means a lot to me, and I’m just as passionate about it as I am about medicine, so I intend to choose a career path that will give me time for both.  


10.  Describe your experience working with the two talented people in the publishing industry- Anushka Ravishankar and Sayoni Basu.  How have they helped you in polishing the ‘Unbroken’ manuscript and influenced your writing?

It has been one of the best experiences of my life! Getting accepted by a traditional publisher in itself, was a dream come true. Then to work with these two amazing women, exceeded my expectations of what publishing would be like. They helped me through all the editing, and made me see flaws and room for improvement that I never would have noticed otherwise. However successful Unbroken is, I owe to them for their input and for turning my manuscript into a full fledged book. I truly feel like a better writer and author in general after the things I learnt through this process.







 PS:
There’s one thing people always seem to ask me, and it’s how Akriti was influenced by two people of very different backgrounds and ages. (The little girl Priya and the psychologist)
I did that in order to bring in the contrast of the innocence of a little girl and the wisdom of an old man, and how they both influence her in their own unique way…Most of all, because neither of them knew her before the accident and they had nothing to compare her to.  So, she feels relatively more comfortable around them.



   This piece was created for the August edition of Kahani Takbak newsletter. To subscribe visit www/shyamala.in




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with L.M.Kadu( Bala sahitya Akademi award for Marati(2017)

Tamil poet for little children: Kuzha Kathiresan

Festival Stories Through The year : Guest Blog by Rachna Chhabria