An interview with Nandini Nayar

Nandini Nayar is India's leading writers for children. She is one of the few authors who has successfully written fiction and nonfiction for children of all ages.  Her wide range of writing has made her a respected name in the world of Indian literature. Kahani Takbak quizzed her about books, writing and life.



How did you become a writer?

I became a writer when I stopped simply dreaming about being a writer and did something. I wrote a story which was published in the children’s pages of Deccan Herald. At that time I was teaching in a school and a student came up to tell me he had read my story and enjoyed it. This was a very positive and effective encouragement and it inspired me to continue writing. Oh, and getting paid for my story was hugely motivating too. I wrote several more stories that were published in the same newspaper. My first picture book happened when I began telling my son stories and sent two of these to Tulika. Tulika accepted both the stories. I guess you could say this was the beginning of my life as a writer.

 
You have recently released two children’s books around sweets. Why this sudden fascination with sweets?


Actually, my interest in sweets, or food itself, is not new. In fact, many years ago, I had registered for a Ph.D on the role of food in Indian Writing in English. For various reasons I was unable to continue my research but I still get to write about food.


If you look at my published works you will find that food plays a very important role in them. Look at What Shall I Make?, my second book, where chapatti making helps the mother and son bond and gives the son an opportunity to discover his courage. My Apoorva books are also about food, the regular Indian food that you are likely to find in most homes. The Great River Magic is another book that features a family that makes sweets and a forthcoming title is about gulab jamuns. So food in general has always fascinated me. For people of my generation, who have grown up reading about food in British and American fiction, it is very rewarding to create books that introduce children to the joys of Indian food.

You seem to be a writing machine judging by your output of fiction, non-fiction and textbooks for children. What inspires you to keep writing?
  

I am inspired by my desire to tell stories, to tell them in new and fun ways. Writing fiction is a reward in itself. Writing non-fiction seemed challenging and I decided to give this genre a shot. Textbooks present me an opportunity to engage with readers of different ages and open their eyes to the beauty of language and stories.


Which are the authors who have inspired you the most in your writing?
I am humbled and inspired by authors like Stephen King and Diana Wynne Jones, for the sheer number of titles they have published, the variety of genres they have attempted and their creative take on various topics. Shashi Deshpande was the first author to show me that children in India could eat puri bhaji and have adventures in small towns. She continues to inspire me because she had the courage and vision to write children’s books set in India at a time when very few people were doing that. I am deeply grateful to the wonderful team of Target, authors, illustrators and editors, for creating a magazine that brought together the best storytellers from India and gave readers stories that resonated with them.


What are your thoughts on e-books for children?
                                               
Two of my books have been published as e-books – When Children Make History, by Mango and Don’t Tell Your Mother, by Juggernaut. I see e-books as yet another way to get children reading even while I am aware of their limitations. Having said that, I believe the e-book can be used for innovative and interactive storytelling and if used intelligently and cautiously, can get more children reading.

What’s a typical day of writing like for you?


I get to writing only after I finish my housework. There is no question of leaving that hanging while I give in to the urges of my muse. I try and finish a certain number of words per day. On some days, if the story is going well, I can easily double that number. On other days, even getting that mandatory number of words down is a big challenge. But since I work from home, no two days are ever alike. There are interruptions and various demands on my time.

While writing a novel do you plot the entire book in advance or do you work on it as you go?
        

When I begin writing, I generally do have an idea where the story is going to go. So, in that sense, yes, I do plan my novel. But sometimes the story, the characters and the events literally take things into their own hands. The novel then takes me surprising places. I don’t complain if the ride is fun and exciting! 

How long does it take you to write a middle grade novel? Do you go through many rewrites?
Every story is a baby that sleeps and wakes and plays to its own schedule. You have to adapt yourself to its schedules. Some novels are written fast, zipping along with no problem. Some take longer. But all novels do go through several rewrites. Some rewrites involve big changes. Others focus on fine tuning the language and testing the logic of the sequence of events.

What is the secret to writing success?

I think success is measured very differently by different people and therefore it is difficult to generalize what it means. I dreamt of getting one book published. When Pranav’s Picture came out, I was thrilled beyond measure. I felt that I had succeeded in fulfilling my writing ambition. All the other books that were published after this first book are bonuses that I never dreamt would happen one day. So, the secret to success of any kind is to work towards your own goals. If you are going to be distracted by the goals of other people, you will never feel successful.

What do you enjoy writing the most – picture books, middle grade or YA novels?


I enjoy them all. I love being hit by an idea and deciding what kind of story it will grow into. I love chasing the idea and I absolutely love writing it down.I guess you could say that I love writing.


Check out Nandini Nayar's latest books -The Curious Case of The Sweet and Spicy Sweet shop(Puffin) and Camp Sweets(Talking Cub)
(PS:  I am an  affiliate of Amazon. When you buy the book through the above hyperlink, I will receive a small percentage of sales which helps me run Kahani Takbak, a platform to promote Indian books, author and illustrators.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with L.M.Kadu( Bala sahitya Akademi award for Marati(2017)

Tamil poet for little children: Kuzha Kathiresan

Festival Stories Through The year : Guest Blog by Rachna Chhabria